Thursday, January 8, 2009

Those wonderful barberries! 1. Berberis koreana

One of my great favorites. An extremely sturdy shrub which is beautiful all year long.

This is how it looks like in the spring, when the leaves spring up.

In May, when in blossom.

This is its summer shape. I find that it enhances the Oriental character of its environment. And it is a rather shady part of the garden, with heavy clay for soil. It is almost impossible to find a plant that grows well here. Although I water here (if you compare the spring and winter images you can see that it grew like fool), but according to Praskac it endures dryness as well.

It is about 1.5-2 meters high, and although most pages underestimate its dimensions, I think it will be at least 3 meters wide. Its berries are eaten in its native Corea.

It can be brought by us as well. In the Zöld Király nursery I always see one of its sports.

2 comments:

quu said...

Hi,

I found your blog, when finding information of peonies. And what a bless this blog is! :)

I'll visit here often in the future!

Greetings from snowy Finland!

-quu

Templom Kata said...

Dear Quu, I love your blog very much! We are just planning with a Russian friend of us to go to those parts in this August (although on the other side of the border). Thank you for the pages on the hosta virus, they are very useful. I have saved them. The cat at the bottom of the page is super!!!
Kata